London Lennies Shuck and Bake Oyster Stuffing Recipe
- 1 lb cubed bread, including crust
- 1 pint fresh raw oysters
- 4-8 tablespoons of butter
- 1 cup finely chopped celery
- 2 cup of chopped onions
- 1/2 cup of minced fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon minced oregano
- 1 tablespoon minced sage
- 1 tablespoon minced thyme
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 freshly grated nutmeg
- 1 cup oyster juice from the freshly opened oysters (oyster broth)
- 2 eggs, well beaten (optional)
Preheat oven to 400F. Toast bread until golden brown on middle rack. Put bread pieces in bowl.
Meanwhile, heat butter until melted and foam subsides. Add onions and celery and cook until tender. (5 mins) Remove from heat and stir in spices.
Add bread crumbs and drained oysters. Toss well until stuffing is moist (but not packed together) and stir in eggs (optional).
Stuff into the turkey while moist.
* If cooked in casserole dish, place in 350F oven for 25-40minutes, or until heated through to form crust on the outsides