The Nursery Lead reports directly to the Shellfish General Manager and oversees the day to day tasks of the nursery, or FLUPSY. Responsible for ensuring the healthy maturation of oyster spawn and seed. This position is primarily based at Oakland Bay Marina in Shelton, but will have some shifts in Lilliwaup and other farm sites.
Expected hours of work are 30-40 hours per week, generally M-F
Compensation is $20-25/hour DOE. Benefits include health insurance with vision coverage and Health Savings Account option, Individual Retirement Account (IRA) with employer matching, paid time off, paid volunteer time, charitable donation matching, access to Employee Assistance Program, beautiful views, and discounts on great food + Hama Hama gear.
What you'll be doing...
- Schedule and oversee staff and operations for the nursery with attention to the "Triple Bottom Line" (people+planet+profit). Lead by example and provide ongoing training, feedback, and coaching to promote employee engagement and development.
- Communicate with customers, vendors, neighbors, and employees in a professional manner.
- Ensure that from farm to consumer, we are taking every possible measure to sell the freshest and highest quality product we can produce
- Wash and screen seed as needed.
- Maintain accurate records of activities and inventory. Assess any mortality or other concerns on a timely basis.
- Maintain cleanliness of troughs, silos, and housing. Swap zincs per schedule
- Coordinate receiving, pickup and delivery of seed from hatcheries to farms
- Know and follow all HACCP protocols and DOH guidelines. Document compliance as required
- Ensure equipment and FLUPSY are clean and in working order. Arrange maintenance needs with GM.
- Identify and create solutions to potential safety issues, in conjunction w/ GM. Report any safety or health concerns or incidents in a timely manner
- Other duties
- Participate in fulfillment and processing operations as needed.
Physical demands / work environment: Moderate work (exerting up to 50 pounds of force occasionally, and/or up to 20 pounds of force frequently, and/or a negligible amount of force constantly to move objects.) Movement includes climbing, balancing, stooping, kneeling, crouching, reaching, standing, walking, pushing, pulling, lifting, manual dexterity, talking, hearing, repetitive motion, and standing for extended periods. Work environment includes exposure to heat and cold of outdoor environment.
Equal Opportunity Employment—Hama Hama Company is an equal opportunity employer and it is our policy that employees and applicants will not be subjected to unlawful discrimination or harassment based on race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, veteran’s status, marital status, physical or mental disability, or any other basis prohibited by applicable state, federal or local laws.