Hama Hama Oyster Company - Now Recruiting for Farm Internships!
full-time, paid, ~6-month (flexible)
Our seasonal farm internship program is for positive, self-motivated individuals who are interested in gaining hands-on job experience while learning about sustainable shellfish farming.
If you're curious about our internship program, reach out to email@example.com with a note about why you're interested. Feel free to include a resume!
No experience with shellfish aquaculture is required, but applicants must meet the qualifications listed below. Our interns learn a variety of aspects of working on an oyster farm. Objectives include:
- Learn what characterizes a great oyster and how to sort oysters by size and quality
- Learn techniques for farming different oyster species in a variety of locations with multiple growing methods
- Assist with general maintenance and cleaning tasks
- Learn how to care for oyster seed and FLUPSY (oyster nursery) best practices
- Participate in the harvesting process and transport of shellfish from farm sites to Hama Hama Headquarters
- Participate in post-harvest processing and fulfillment operations
- Become familiar with operating boats and other farm-related equipment.
- Option to pick up hours in one of our foodservice operations to learn more about the customer service, sales, and culinary aspects of farming.
- Individuals must be able to work flexible hours including weekends and nights to accommodate the tide schedule
- Enjoy working outdoors, and be comfortable working outdoors in inclement conditions and indoor refrigerated environment
- This is an active job and applicants should be able to lift and handle 50 pounds without difficulty and be able to work in a physically challenging environment.
- Individuals must adhere to all safety standards, including proper care and use of personal protective equipment (PPE).
- Must be able to speak/understand english and communicate respectfully with coworkers. Spanish language skills are a plus.
- Applicants must be 18 years of age or older and have a valid driver’s license with a clean driving record
Compensation: range starting at $15.00/hr, plus housing benefit (shared housing located at one of our farm sites near Port Townsend Washington). Option to work one to two days a week in foodservice, which would involve a tip share.
When: Start date and term are flexible, 3-9 month duration beginning approx. April 15th. Applications must be received by March 15th, 2021. Expected hours of work are 30-40 per week.
Where: Travel between Hama Hama headquarters in Lilliwaup, WA, to surrounding farms around Hood Canal and the Puget Sound.
Physical demands / work environment risk exposure: Position requires exerting up to 20-50 pounds of force frequently, and/or a negligible amount of force constantly to move objects. Movement includes climbing, balancing, stooping, kneeling, crouching, reaching, standing, walking, pushing, pulling, lifting, manual dexterity, talking, hearing, repetitive motion, and standing for extended periods. Work environment includes exposure to heat and cold of indoor and outdoor environment; risk associated with forklift, motor vehicles and water craft; sharp knives (cut risk); risk associated with lifting; and wet or uneven ground surfaces.
Equal Opportunity Employment—Hama Hama Oyster Company is a proud equal opportunity employer and it is our policy that employees and applicants will not be subjected to unlawful discrimination or harassment based on race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, veteran’s status, marital status, physical or mental disability, or any other basis prohibited by applicable state, federal or local laws.