Hama Hama Oysterfarm Internship (full-time, paid)
Hama Hama Oyster Company is looking for positive, self-motivated individuals who are interested in gaining hands-on job experience while learning about sustainable shellfish farming.
Family owned and operated for five generations, we’re a shellfish farm located on Hood Canal with a reputation for quality built on hard work and clean water. Our mission is pretty simple: use low impact farming methods to grow world-class oysters and clams, have fun, and leave something good for the next generation.
No experience with shellfish aquaculture is required, but applicants must meet the qualifications listed below. Our interns learn a variety of aspects of working on an oyster farm. Objectives include:
- Learn what characterizes a great oyster and how to sort oysters by size and quality
- Learn techniques for farming different oyster species in a variety of locations with multiple growing methods
- Assist with general maintenance and cleaning tasks
- Learn how to care for oyster seed and FLUPSY (oyster nursery) best practices
- Participate in the harvesting process and transport of shellfish from farm sites to Hama Hama Headquarters
- Participate in post-harvest processing and fulfillment operations
- Become familiar with operating boats and other farm-related equipment.
- Optional: make connections between farm to table and learn about shucking and serving oysters in restaurants through shifts in the Oyster Saloon.
- You must be able to work flexible hours including weekends and nights to accommodate the tide schedule
- You are comfortable working in inclement outdoor conditions and in an indoor refrigerated environment
- This is a physically demanding active job which at times involves extended periods of repetitive and strenuous work. Applicants should be able to lift and handle 50 pounds without difficulty and be able to work in physically challenging indoor and outdoor environments, occasionally at night.
- Individuals must adhere to all safety standards, including proper use of personal protective equipment (PPE).
- You must be able to speak/understand English and communicate respectfully with coworkers. Spanish language skills are a plus.
- Applicants must be 18 years of age or older and have a valid driver’s license with a clean driving record
Compensation: range starting at $17.50/hr for farm work, plus housing benefit (shared housing located at one of our farm sites near Port Townsend Washington). Work in the restaurant pays slightly less per hour but includes tips.
When: We’re looking for a 3 to 9 month commitment beginning mid to late August - exact start time can be flexible. Applications must be received by July 15th 2022. Expected hours of work are 30-40 per week. Schedule will be variable, with night shifts and occasional weekend work will be required to catch work windows on the tideflats. Folks looking to work in customer service / sales should be prepared to work regular weekend shifts.
Where: Travel between Hama Hama headquarters in Lilliwaup, WA, and Port Hadlock, WA to surrounding farms around Hood Canal and the Puget Sound.
Physical demands / work environment risk exposure: Position requires exerting up to 20-50 pounds of force frequently, and/or a negligible amount of force constantly to move objects. Movement includes climbing, balancing, stooping, kneeling, crouching, reaching, standing, walking, pushing, pulling, lifting, manual dexterity, talking, hearing, repetitive motion, and standing for extended periods. Work environment includes exposure to heat and cold of indoor and outdoor environment; risk associated with forklift, motor vehicles and water craft; sharp knives (cut risk); risk associated with lifting; and wet or uneven ground surfaces.
Equal Opportunity Employment—Hama Hama Company is a proud equal opportunity employer and it is our policy that employees and applicants will not be subjected to unlawful discrimination or harassment based on race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, veteran’s status, marital status, physical or mental disability, or any other basis prohibited by applicable state, federal or local laws.To apply: please send your cover letter and resume to: firstname.lastname@example.org.