Hama Hama is looking for a Farm Store Lead.
This is a dynamic position that’s perfect for someone who loves people and sea creatures, wants to promote a local food economy, is comfortable with numbers, and enjoys organizing things and staying physically active. The Farm Store Lead ensures that customers coming into the Store find the freshest, most delicious seafood in the PNW, sold at fair prices by a well-informed, friendly staff. They are directly responsible for enacting the Company’s priorities and goals in the Farm Store through daily operations, with a strong focus on shellstock quality. Ideal candidates will be able to think creatively about customer engagement, and be equally comfortable working independently and collaboratively.
This position also fills several critical roles for the Hama Hama Shellfish Company, such as maintaining cleaning supply inventory, scheduling common area sanitation, and helping with swag design and strategy. They perform backup support for the Oyster Saloon - helping pitch in when needed. They are a key player in the goal of creating more alignment between Brick and Mortar operations and the Online Store, and coordinate with the online team on product selection, pricing, and promotions. At quarterly or monthly check-ins with the Management team they receive feedback on product selection, display, pricing strategy, and business performance.
About Hama Hama
Family owned and operated for six generations, we’re a shellfish and timber farm located on the eastern slopes of the Olympic Peninsula. Our reputation for quality is built on hard work and clean water. Our mission is pretty simple: use low impact farming methods to grow world-class oysters and trees, have fun, and leave something good for those who will come after us.
The Hama Hama Farm Store, which we opened in the 1970s, acts as a mothership for Hama Hama’s customer and staff experience, and is beloved by many different groups of people. Successful applicants will be able to understand what makes the Farm Store lovely, and be able to honor its long held traditions for excellent quality, impeccable freshness, and affordable high quality food, while helping us navigate the challenges and opportunities of a changing economy, labor force, technological environment, and customer base.
- Working in the Farm Store, providing excellent customer service and performing all necessary tasks for Farm Store operations
- Directing workflow for a small staff (ie creating daily and weekly tasks lists, providing training and feedback when necessary)
- Drafting schedules for approval
- Ordering and rotating product through the Farm Store
- Attending weekly update meetings
- Following all applicable food, liquor, and safety regulations
- Acting as midweek PIC for the Brick and Mortar division, with the flexibility to pitch in to help the Oyster Saloon if needed
- Working with colleagues to help the Farm Store, and the rest of the Shellfish Company, thrive and grow.
- Excitement about shellfish aquaculture, local food economy, hospitality or some other aspect of the job - we want the Farm Store to be a place customers can come to learn and be inspired.
- Excellent organizational and written and verbal communication skills, paired with a creative spark.
- Strong time management skills and efficiency when working at a desk.
- Comfort learning new things, making mistakes, receiving feedback, and working closely with others, all while maintaining a professional and friendly demeanor
- Comfort with technology (POS systems, Google Suite)
- Able to make data-informed proposals for the Farm Store’s future
- Ability to meet the physical requirements of the job, which include: walking and/or standing for long periods of time; performing other actions as necessary including bending, stooping, crouching, climbing, balancing, reaching, and lifting up to 50 pounds; manual dexterity; hearing and talking; working around common allergens including wheat, shellfish, and cleaning agents; exposure to work chilled indoor workspaces and the heat and cold of outdoor environment.
This is a full-time position located at our farm in Lilliwaup. Expected hours of work are Monday - Friday, although schedule may need to accommodate occasional or frequent weekend work depending on Farm Store’s needs and staffing situation. The Farm Store is busiest in the summer season, so someone in this position should plan their longer vacations for shoulder or winter seasons.
Compensation range is $25.00 to $27.50.
Benefits include health insurance with vision and dental, Individual Retirement Account (IRA) with employer matching up to 3% of gross income, paid time off, paid volunteer time, charitable donation matching, access to Employee Assistance Program, beautiful views, discounts on great food + Hama Hama gear
To apply please submit a resume and cover letter to email@example.com, or apply in person at:
Hama Hama Oyster Company
35846 N US Highway 101
Lilliwaup, WA 98555
Equal Opportunity Employment—Hama Hama Company is an equal opportunity employer and it is our policy that employees and applicants will not be subjected to unlawful discrimination or harassment based on race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, veteran’s status, marital status, physical or mental disability, or any other basis prohibited by applicable state, federal or local laws.